12 Feb Why I Got Carried Away with Away Luggage
I first heard about Away luggage from a former colleague who travels the world for work. He was super excited about his new Away suitcase and posted it on his IG feed. I immediately felt a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out). This is not a typical feeling for me, so I knew it was serious. On his feed, I asked, if it is worth the price tag. “Yes! I seriously love this luggage,” he responded.
I travel a lot: for work, for pleasure. One of my jobs was as the recruiter for a graduate school program, which required I travel all over North America. I spent 6 months out of the year traveling to schools, sometimes three a day and was usually in a different city each night. When not working, I visited friends and family. I lived out of a suitcase, so I know how important good luggage is.
The suitcase I’d been living out of was a Samsonite carry-on roller bag that I picked up at an outlet. But that bag, which had served me well over the years, shrank before my eyes as I started to read Away’s features:
- Tough zipper; TSA-approved lock
- 360-degree wheels that allow you to move in any direction
- Many different colors to choose from/mix-and-match and limited-edition colors
- The hard case
- The laptop pocket
- An injectable lithium ion battery for charging devices on the go
- 100-day trial; return the bag with no questions asked
- Lifetime guarantee
That’s EIGHT features that piqued my FOMO. With my annual Professional Organizer’s Conference looming on the calendar, I needed to act fast.
Luckily, I live in one of the three US cities (New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco) that has an Away retail store. The store was clean, well-organized, and energizing. The sales people (Brianna Berumen, the manager, is my contact) were incredibly helpful and walked me through all options. I will now do the same for you.
Away offers several travel bags in various colors and materials (basic hard plastic or the aluminum collection, which is higher priced and more durable).
1. The Carry-On: $225
“Meet the perfect carry-on. Unbreakable, thoughtfully designed, and guaranteed for life.”
2. The Carry-On with Pocket: $275
This model comes with a built-in nylon front pocket for the items you reference most in transit.
3. The Bigger Carry-On: $245
Away describes this as: “The perfect carry-on, sized up. Unbreakable, thoughtfully designed, and guaranteed for life. Made to fit the sizes of major US airlines, ideal for those flying on big planes or with extra outfits.”
The Bigger Carry-On with Pocket: This model comes with a built-in nylon front pocket for the items you reference most in transit.
***I got the one with the pocket in Navy. The pocket makes ALL the difference – trust me!
4. The Medium: $275
Away describes this as: “A midsize checked bag with an unbreakable polycarbonate shell, interior compression system, and removable laundry bag.
5. The Large: $295
Away describes this as: “An enormous checked bag—big enough for a full wardrobe—with an unbreakable polycarbonate shell, interior compression system, and removable laundry bag.”
***I got this one in Navy. It’s BIG!
- Away also has garment bags, backpacks, daypacks, and the everywhere bag, which I purchased in Navy to match my two suitcases.
- Of course, as an organizer, I’m also excited about their bag organizers. I splurged on the pink leather (limited edition, already gone) Dopp Kit, and I don’t regret it.
- You can even personalize your luggage if you want to stand out!
What I LOVE about Away Luggage:
- Away has a 100-day trial period. Return the bags with no questions asked. I tested this out (for proper product review) by returning my carry-on. Seriously, no questions were asked. I then immediately bought the carry-on with the pocket, which was out of stock when I first bought my bags.
- Away bags are incredibly stylish and come in a variety of colors. Beware, the lighter colors may show more scuffmarks and wear/tear. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are helpful for getting some of the scuff marks out, but it’s luggage. Luggage gets scuffed, especially if it’s checked. I also love that it’s a hard case, which makes it waterproof and easier to clean.
- The luggage moves with you. I can spring like a gazelle through airports, one hand barely pushing the bag while the other hand holds coffee or my phone. 99% of the time I maneuver the bag upright on all four wheels, with my everywhere bag over the handle. Other luggage felt clunky and awkward on a dash. But this summer I ran from one end of a terminal to another, my large Away suitcase sliding along effortlessly with my carry-on/everywhere bag combo, and my dog on a leash. I thought to myself, I could not have done this with other luggage. Last Spring, I was able to glide through the L (subway system) in Chicago with my carry-on/everywhere bag combo. Seriously, I love this luggage! It makes you feel like a professional traveler – if there is such a thing.
- The front pocket on my carry-on makes it so easy to grab or stash my laptop when on the go. It’s also easy to retrieve at security.
- The lithium ion battery makes it easy to charge your devices while on the go. I never have to search for outlets. And I’ve even been known to grab it out of the suitcase and use it on regular basis. Just remember: you need to remove the battery when you check the bag, or security will confiscate it. It’s for carry-on luggage only, which is why it’s built-in only on the carry-on models.
- The built-in lock is awesome – and TSA approved. I love that it locks my zipper into place, and I don’t have to worry about a separate lock. In the event you forget your combo, the company will replace the lock. That’s included in your lifetime guarantee!
- Freebies: cord/charger for battery and carrying case (in the carry-on bag); laundry bag in the larger checked suitcases. Also, each bag comes with a matching leather luggage tag.
- Finally, I love the lifetime guarantee. True story: my large bag was damaged on its maiden voyage from CA to FL. I was super bummed when I got my bag off the belt and saw that the zipper was broken and could no longer use the lock. I immediately emailed my contact at Away who assured me that they would take it back at any time that was convenient for me. I don’t always get into that part of the city, let alone with a giant suitcase, so it took a few months before I finally returned the bag (see I’m just like you). Despite it being after my 100-day trial, they exchanged the bag, no questions asked. I did wonder what they would do with the broken bag (I said I would keep it if they would just replace the zipper; sadly they could not). The employee mentioned that the bags that are returned are used for parts, so they do attempt to be eco-friendly and not wasteful by sending bags to the dump. As an eco-organizer that makes me happy.
Be honest – are there any cons?
Price. Some people would consider the price a con. Honestly, this is quality luggage with a lifetime guarantee, so I considered it an investment. If you travel a lot, your luggage needs to last. You don’t want to be replacing luggage every few years. Remember the saying “you get what you pay for?” This luggage is worth the price.
There aren’t many retail stores, so you have to rely on online ordering, which also means paying shipping. And if you need to return the bag for any reason, that means paying for shipping, too. That could add up. I would consider that a con.
I had to pack in a different way than I’m used to. Normally, I pack using packing cubes, but that system didn’t work in with my Away luggage. Away has built in pockets, and the company also offers their own packing cubes, which I have yet to test out. So far, I’ve easily adapted.
If you have Away luggage – share in the comments why you love it or your favorite feature. What was the game changer for you? Why will you never go back to other brands?
If you don’t have Away luggage – do you have any questions that I haven’t answered?
What are you waiting for? This is definitely worth the investment. Use this link to order and you’ll receive $20 after your first purchase: http://fbuy.me/kE4zm